A Journey along the Spen Valley Rail Line Cleckheaton Central to Low Moor.
The entrance to the island platform of Cleckheaton Central was on the left between the two bridges.
Cleckheaton Central railway station served the town until it was closed in the Beeching era, it has the distinction of being the only British railway station to have been stolen.
At the time of the closures in 1965 Dennis Cross was station master at both Cleckheaton and Liversedge which employed 13 men.
The last official passenger train on the line left Bradford at 11.10am on June 12 arriving at Cleckheaton 11 minutes later, among the last passengers were workers from BBA Limited returning from a works trip.
The line had a temporary revival later that month with works trips leaving for Beeston, Nottingham and Southport.
The station was originally constructed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, which was absorbed by the LNWR in 1922 and subsequently the LMS in 1923 at grouping and finally to British Rail on nationalization. It served traffic from Heckmondwike, Low Moor (near Bradford) and Mirfield. The Mirfield line opened in 1848 and through to Low Moor in 1849. The last passenger train working was the service from Bradford on 12 June 1965 arriving at Cleckheaton at 11:21 p.m.; the station closed to freight traffic some four years later.
In 1972 a Dewsbury man appeared at Wakefield Crown Court; in the words of the prosecution counsel “what the case really comes to is that this man last August in effect stole Cleckheaton station”.
British Rail had contracted for the clearing of the site in August 1971, part of the deal being that the contractors would sell and retain the proceeds from disposal of the materials and scrap. On arrival, they discovered that the station and most of the material were already gone. It transpired that the man had been contracted by another firm to clear the site, had been advanced a sum for hire of plant, and had spent three weeks clearing the site. Subsequent efforts to trace the second firm failed, and the court found the man not guilty, deciding that he had been duped and left significantly out of pocket.
Opened to passengers and freight 1847
Closed to passengers 14th June 1968
Closed to freight May 1969
Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.
The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway was a major British railway company before the grouping of 1923. It was incorporated in 1847 from an amalgamation of several existing railways. It was the third-largest railway system solely based in the North of England.
It was the first mainline railway to introduce electrification of some of its lines, and it also ran steamboat services across the Irish Sea and North Sea, being a bigger ship-owner than any other British railway company.
It amalgamated with the London and North Western Railway on 1 January 1922. One year later, the merged company became the largest constituent of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway